|malay concordance project|
Mohamad Jajuli A. Rahman, The Malay Law Text, Kuala Lumpur: Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka, 1995.
MS Add.2393, in the Sloane collection, British Library.
text: ? 1600s;
manuscript: before 1753, when it was purchased by the British Museum.
text: unknown, perhaps Javanese;
manuscript: unknown, privately owned by Sloane.
to the pages (1-32) of the manuscript.
- The text is untitled. The first section is, however, titled "Bab Takzir", hence the name applied here to the whole text.
- Jajuli gives a substantial introduction to his text, discussing its antique spelling, its contents, and its likely Arabic sources. The sense of the text is often obscure, presumably as a result of its adaptation from Arabic.
- Jajuli's edition has also been published as:
- • Teks Undang-Undang Melayu Pertengahan Abad Kelapan Belas (tr. Che Ann Ghani), Kuala Lumpur: Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka, 1994.
- • The Undang-Undang: A mid-eighteenth century Malay law text, Canterbury: Unversity of Kent, 1986. Occasional Paper No.6 of the Centre of South-East Asian Studies.
- Added: April 2001
- The Dewan Bahasa 1995 edition was scanned for the MCP in Canberra using Recognita™ OCR.