|malay concordance project|
Hikayat Ibrahim ibn Adham
Russell Jones, Hikayat Sultan Ibrahim ibn Adham: an edition of an anonyomous Malay text with translation and notes, Berkeley: Center for South and Southeast Asia Studies, University of California. Monograph series No. 27.
Cohen Stuart no. 130A, Perpustakaan Nasional Republik Indonesia, Jakarta.
text: perhaps about 1650; manuscript: 1775.
text: unknown; attributed to Syaikh Abu Bakar al-Hadhramauti;
manuscript: unknown; collected by Cohen Stuart in Java.
to the pages (52-227) and lines of Jones' published edition.
- Editorial notes
- Jones' text is a composite, based principally on manuscript "A", but with additions and alternative readings from other manuscripts, namely:
- "B" Van de Wall 120, Perpustakaan Nasional Republik Indonesia, Jakarta. Dated 1861. Probably copied in Malaya.
- "C" Van de Wall 118, Perpustakaan Nasional Republik Indonesia, Jakarta. Undated, 1860s. Probably copied in Riau.
- "D" Malayo-Polynésien 281, Bibliothèque nationale, Paris. Dated 1825. Copied in Riau
- "E" MS 168214, School of Oriental and African Studies, London. Dated 1802. Probably from Bencoolen.
- Jones' text is carefully annotated. Additions from B, C, D and E are noted and marked by square brackets [ ], while omissions of text found in "A" are marked by / . In the MCP text the [ ] markings are retained, but the omission markers and Jones' notes are omitted.
- More extended excerpts from the secondary texts are provided in Jones' Appendix A as follows:
source theme Jones' pages & lines D The Ruler's departure from the palace 215: 1 - 218:50 B 219: 1 - 219:10 C 219:11 - 219:28 E 219:29 - 220: 5 B The world can be likened to a house 223: 1 - 224:19 D Sultan Ibrahim falls in with a Bedouin 225: 1 - 226: 2 B Muhammad Tahir's parting words to his mother 227: 1 - 227:13
- Added: August 2002
- The published text was double scanned using Recognita and Omnipage OCR, and then prepared in the normal manner.