|malay concordance project|
Hikayat Iskandar Zulkarnain
Hj. Khalid Muhammad Hussain (ed.), Hikayat Iskandar Zulkarnain, 2nd edn, Kuala Lumpur: Dewan Bahasa, 1986.
Cod.Or.1696, Leiden University Library.
text: before 1600 (predates Sejarah Melayu); manuscript: about 1830.
text: unknown; manuscript: copied by Muhammad Cing Sa`idullah, General Secretariat, Batavia
to the pages (1-351) and lines of the printed edition.
- Editorial notes and bibliography
- This text of the Iskandar story belongs to the shorter, but perhaps older, Sumatran version. The transcription available for this project is drawn from a nineteenth-century manuscript from the Batavian scriptorium. The oldest manuscript dates from 1713, but is too poorly preserved to be usable.
- This situation presents a nice example of the difficulties of assigning dates to Malay texts. The text is clearly old (the beginning section of Sejarah Melayu is a paraphrase of the Iskandar story). Yet the copy we use here has some modern features. For instance, Raja Qilas is referred to as the "Governor" of Byzantium (gabenor Rom).
- • E.P. Wieringa (ed.) Catalogue of Malay and Minangkabau Manuscripts in the Library of Leiden University ..., vol.1, p.40 gives a reproduction of the illuminated opening pages of the manuscript.
- • Liaw Yock Fang, Sejarah Kesusasteraan Klassik, rev. ed., Singapura: Pustaka Nasional, 1982, pp.143-148.
- • R.O. Winstedt, A History of Classical Malay Literature, 2nd ed., Kuala Lumpur: Oxford University Press, 1969, pp.85-86, 92-95.
- Added: June 2004
- The Dewan Bahasa 1986 edition was scanned for the MCP in Canberra using Recognita™ OCR.