|malay concordance project|
Surat Perjanjian Riau-Belanda
Surat-Surat Perdjandjian antara Kesultanan Riau dengan Pemerintahan2 V.O.C dan Hindia-Belanda, 1784-1909, Djakarta: Arsip Nasional Republik Indonesia, 1970.
materials in Arsip Nasional Republic Indonesia, Jakarta, in many cases extracts from the Government Gazette (Staatsblad), listed below.
1784 - 1909, as below.
Riau or Batavia.
to the pages (4..254) and lines of the printed edition.
- Archival materials
Riau # date 4-9 1784 Articles of Capitulation 12-31 1784 Treaty of Friendship 32-35 1784 Agreement 37-53 1818 Contract 55-63 1820 Contract 65-68 1823 Subsequent agreement 70-87 1830 Contract 89-89 1857 Attestation to Contract of 1830 91-115 1857 Contract 116 1858 Signing of the Contract of 1857 117-126  List of territories 127-130  Decree on mining 131-137 1857 Decree on alienation of land 142-146 1857 List of customary taxes 147-148 1857 Letter from Raja Muda to Resident Nieuwenhuijzen 149-152 1857 Proposed amendments to the Contract 154-158 1857 Response 159-159 1857 Letter from Raja Muda to Resident 160-162 1857 Minute 163-166 1857 Royal decree on mining leases 168-170 1859 Installation of Raja Muda 172-174 1864 Revised list of islands belonging to the kingdom 182-185 1868 Contract 188-191 1881 Supplementary contract 193-196 1884 Act and Declaration 199-201 1887 Supplementary contract 199-201 1888 Supplementary contract 203-216 1897 Supplementary agreement 219-221 1898 Supplementary contract 223-227 1899 Supplementary contract 229-230 1898 Minute 231-232 1898 Minute 234-234 1898 Minute 237-274 1905 Contract 279-283 Appendix: taxes and levies 286-288 1905 Minute 290-298 1907 Supplementary contract 300-302 1909 Supplementary contract
- Editorial notes and bibliography
- These texts are translations from legal-bureaucratic Dutch, are examples of the Malay used for admininstrative purposes in the Indies. The style has rightly been called Melayu Blanda. This "translationese" is characterised by long and convoluted stretches of prose. In sections it is very difficult to understand without reference to the parallel Dutch text, real or imagined.
- Both punctuation and spelling have been considerably edited. Punctuation in the original is minimal. Spellings apparently reflect transcriptions made at different times, a few contemporary. The transcriptions inconsistently distinguish between kaf besar (q) and kaf kecil (k), and between sin (s) and sad (sh); they also indiscriminately end words with k (e.g. ta'luk), q (ta'loq), and ´ (ta'lo') — these distinctions have not been preserved.
- cap: text of a seal;
- ttd.: tanda tangan (signature) [in Balinese script].
- Dutch personal names — only the surname is included in the general index, as far as possible in the Dutch form; forenames are only indexed in the wordlist, and only as they appear in the text.
- Lists of islands making up the territory of Riau, Lingga and Dependencies have not been included.
- Added: November 2008
- The text was scanned in Canberra by the MCP using Omnipage™ 16 OCR, and its spelling modernised. The source was difficult to scan, and the software used, Omnipage, has proved unreliable. Therefore the results have to be treated with caution. In particular Omnipage occasionally omits words and reorders lines of text. Caveat emptor.