|malay concordance project|
Hikayat Pandawa Lima
Khalid M. Hussain (ed.), Hikayat Pandawa Lima, Kuala Lumpur: Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka, 1992. Siri Warisan Sastera Klasik.
Brandes 2, Perpustakaan Nasional Republik Indonesia, Jakarta.
text: perhaps 1350-1400 (Brakel), not later than early 1700s (Braginsky), 1700s (Khalid); manuscript: unknown.
text: unknown; manuscript: Batavia (or Java).
to the pages (1-274) of the underlying manuscript, as indicated in the printed edition, and then to the lines of the printed edition.
- Editorial notes and bibliography
- The underlying manuscript is very probably Brandes 2, though in 1992 confusingly Khalid stated that its text is “almost the same” (hampir sama) as Brandes 2.
- Khalid’s edition is the only published text of the Malay version of the Mahabharata epic.
- Khalid discusses the dating of the text at length in his "Pengantar". He prefers a later date, perhaps in the sixteenth or seventeenth century; however Brackel and Creese argue persuasively for an earlier date. A further argument for an older date is that this Malay version is based on the Old Javanese kakawin version of the story, not the modern Javanese version.
- • Khalid M. Hussain (ed.), Hikayat Pandawa Lima, Kuala Lumpur: Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka, 1992, "Pengantar", pp.xi-xix.
- • Khalid M. Hussain (ed.), Hikayat Pandawa Lima, Kuala Lumpur: Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka, 1964, "Pendahuluan", pp.vii-ix.
- • V.I. Braginsky, The Heritage of Traditional Malay Literature: a historical survey of genres, writings and literary views, Leiden: KITLV Press, 2004. Verhandelingen van het Koninklijk Instituut voor Taal-, Land- en Volkenkunde 214, pp.115, 144-152 (including a summary of the plot),
- • Liaw Yock Fang, Sejarah Kesusasteraan Klassik, rev. ed., Singapura: Pustaka Nasional, 1982, pp.58-64.
- • R.O. Winstedt, A History of Classical Malay Literature, 2nd ed., Kuala Lumpur: Oxford University Press, 1969, pp.37-39, 208-226 (referring to the text as "Hikayat Pandawa Jaya").
- • M.C. Ricklefs & P. Voorhoeve, Indonesian Manuscripts in Great Britain, a catalogue of manuscripts in Indonesian languages in public collections, Oxford University Press, 1977, p.133
- Added: July 2007
- The text was scanned in Canberra by the MCP using Recognita™ OCR, and adapted for use in the project. Minor corrections of typographic errors have been made.