|malay concordance project|
Risalah fi 'l-Tawhid @ Kitab Mukhtasar
G.W.J. Drewes, Directions for Travellers on the Mystic Path, The Hague: Nijhoff, 1977. Verhandelingen van het Koninklijk Instituut voor Taal-, Land- en Volkenkunde, 81 – pp.106..174.
Cod.Or. 1712, Leiden University Library.
text: 1760s; manuscript: 1823.
text: Palembang, written by Kemas Fakhruddin; manuscript: copy made in the General Secretariat, Batavia, from a manuscript seized from the Palembang court by the Dutch in 1820.
to the pages (1-86) of the manuscript, indicated in the printed edition.
- Editorial notes
- According to Drewes (p.220) this text, commonly known as Kitab Mukhtasar, is a Malay translation of Shaikh Walī Raslān al-Dimashqī’s Risālah fī 'l-tawhīd, enlarged with comments taken from the commentaries by Zakariyyā’ al-Ansārī (Fath al-Rahmān) and `Abd al-Ghanī bin Ismā`īl al-Nābulusī (Khamrat al-khām).
- As with the Risalah written by Shihabuddin, the aim of this text is to curb the possibly growing disregard of Shariah arising from the spread of mystical doctrine among the common people. With this aim in mind, Kemas Fakhruddin was commissioned to prepare this Malay version.
- Cod.Or. 1712 is a copy made in the General Secretariat, Batavia, of manuscript Ml 120, Perpustakaan Nasional Republik Indonesia, Jakarta.
- Drewes’ use of parentheses to indicate editorial additions and suppressions have been brought into line with MCP practice:
- [ ] signal editorial additions -- in the printed text ( )
- ( ) signal text present in the manuscript but better omitted -- in the printed text [ ]
- Wieringa, E.P. Catalogue of Malay and Minangkabau Manuscripts in the Library of Leiden University and other Collections in the Netherlands, Volume Two Comprising the H.N. van der Tuuk Bequest Acquired by the Leiden University Library in 1896, Leiden, Leiden University Library, 2007 (Bibliotheca Universitatis Leidensis, Codices Manuscripti XL): pp.63-64.
- Added: May 2006
- The text was scanned in Canberra by the MCP using Recognita™ OCR, and adapted.