|malay concordance project|
Hikayat Hang Tuah
Kassim Ahmad (ed.), Hikayat Hang Tuah, Kuala Lumpur: Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka, 1975.
[probably Mk 1141], Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka, Kuala Lumpur.
text: about 1700; manuscript: 1849.
text: unknown; manuscript: Kedah, formerly owned by Tengku Ibrahim of Kedah.
172332 words, including 24 verses.
to the pages (1-525) and lines of the DBP 1975 printed edition.
- Editorial notes
- The date of copying given in the manuscript is soemwhat unclear. It seems to be 1265 (1849), though 1295 (1878) is possible: this latter date is found in the Dewan Bahasa catalogue.
- A paragraph omitted from the 1975 edition has been supplied from Kassim Ahmad's 1964 edition. It falls between 280:31 and 32.
- Kassim Ahmad's edition was first published in 1964. The 1975 edition is the first in the new spelling. Kassim Ahmad filled lacunae in the DBP manuscript by reference to the Leiden manuscript Cod.Or.1762. The added passages occur at: 20:32 - 21:19, 108:18 - 27, 210:32 - 211:4, and 353:27 - 354:6. A further passage is added from Shellabear's synthetic edition at 183:35 - 184:9. All are enclosed in square brackets [ ].
He also resolved some unclear or confused readings by reference to the Leiden manuscript, to Shellabear's edition, or to the Balai Pustaka romanisation.
- A paragraph omitted from the 1975 edition has been supplied from Kassim Ahmad's 1964 edition. It falls between 280:31 and 280:32.
- [S] W.G. Shellabear (ed.), Hikayat Hang Tuah, Singapore: Malaya Publishing House, 1908 [in Jawi script].
- [BP] Balai Pustaka, Hikajat Hang Toeah, disalin dari naskah toelisan tangan hoeroef Arab, kepoenjaan Kon. Bataviaasch Genootschap, Weltevreden: Commissie voor de Volkslectuur, 1924. Reprinted.
- Added: 1998
- Kassim Ahmad's text was scanned and proofed independently by Ian Proudfoot in Canberra and Pierre Yves-Manguin in Jakarta. The two digital versions were then compared and corrected. Minor errors and inconsistencies in the transcription have been amended. In other cases emendations have been noted below.