|malay concordance project|
Cherita Jenaka, edisi baru, Kuala Lumpur: Oxford University Press, 1963.
shortly before 1908.
text: Perak, collected by Raja Haji Yahya.
22389 words, including 23 verses
to the pages (1-96) and lines of the 1963 edition.
- Editorial notes and bibliography
- The text is a collection of five stories, as follows:
tag pages 1908 ed. pages 1960 ed. pages 1963 ed. Pak Kadok CJen.K 1-12 1-11 1-10 Pak Pandir CJen.P 14-50 14-51 11-47 Lebai Malang CJen.M 51-56 53-58 48-52 Pak Belalang CJen.B 58-84 60-87 53-79 Si-Luncai CJen.L 86-102 90-107 80-96
- This collection of stories was prepared for the Malay Literature Series, and first published in 1908. It is based on material collected and written down by Raja Yahya Haji in Perak, edited and put through the press by Winstedt and Sturrock.
- Ideally the text presented here should be that of the first edition of 1908; however this is not available to me. Instead, the readings of the 1960 and 1963 editions have been compared. The editors of the 1963 edition (perhaps Mohd. Taib Othman) have in some instances adjusted the text to modern tastes, for example, by changing orang Keling to orang India. The 1960 text seems most often to have the harder readings, and therefore I have supposed it to be closer to the original 1908 edition. Consequently, except where the 1960 edition is clearly defective, its readings have been preferred. The significant divergences are listed in the notes. The punctuation has by and large also been aligned with the 1960 edition. Despite this preference for the older edition, the page references are to the more widely available 1983 edition.
- • [Raja Haji Yahya], Cherita Jenaka, iaitu Pa' Kadok, Pa' Pandir, Lebai Malang, Pa' Belalang, Si-Lunchai, ed. R.O. Winstedt & A.J. Sturrock, Singapore: Malayan Publishing House, 1908. Malay Literature Series no.6. Text pp.1-102.
- • [Raja Haji Yahya], Cherita Jenaka, mengandongi cherita2 Pa' Kadok, Pa' Pandir, Lebai Malang, Pa' Belalang, Si-Lunchai, di-susun oleh R.O. Winstedt dan A.J. Sturrock, Singapura: Malayan Publishing House, 1960. Siri Kesusasteraan Melayu, bil.6. Text pp.1-107.
- • Raja Haji Yahya, Cherita Jenaka, edisi baru, di-dasarkan pada naskah Sir R.O. Winstedt dan A.J. Sturrock dengan Kata Pengantar oleh Mohd. Taib Osman, Kuala Lumpur: Oxford University Press, 1963. Text pp.1-96.
- Added: July 2007
- The text of the 1963 edition was scanned in Canberra by the MCP using Recognita™ OCR, and its spelling modernised. It was then edited against the text of the 1980 edition.