|malay concordance project|
Abdul Aziz Mat Ton, Politik al-Imam, Kuala Lumpur: Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka, 2000: selected articles.
Majalah “Al-Imam”, monthly, Singapore: July 1906 - December 1908.
July 1906 - December 1908.
published in Singapore, including translations from the Egyptian Arabic press and contributions from Sumatra and Malaya.
44562 words, including 253 verses.
to the pages (310-496) and lines of Abdul Aziz’ edition, Lampiran.
- Editorial notes and bibliography
- Al-Imam appeared monthly. Its editors were Syaikh Muhammad Tahir Jalaluddin and later Haji Abbas bin Muhammad Tahir.
- In his bibliography, Roff includes the following note:
- Al-Imam was the first of the ‘religious reform’ journals in Malaysia and Indonesia, introducing ideas which had their origin with Shaikh Muhammad Abduh and the al-Manar circle in Cairo.
- For the items included in this collection, see the list of articles.
- • William R. Roff, The Origins of Malay Nationalism, Yale University Press, 1967 (Yale Southeast Asia Studies, 2); reprinted: Kuala Lumpur: Penerbit Universiti Malaya, 1974, pp.56-67. This reference gives a most informative account of the context, importance, and political stances of this journal.
- • William R. Roff, Bibliography of Malay and Arabic Periodicals published in the Straits Settlements and Peninsular Malay States 1876-1941 with an annotated union list of holdings in Malaysia, Singapore and the United Kingdom, London: O.U.P., 1972 (London Oriental Bibliographies, volume 3), pp.31-32, item 18.
- Added: January 2006
- The text was scanned in Canberra by the MCP using Recognita™ OCR.